Saturday, December 26, 2009

Slow Progress

It's been almost a month since I stopped working, but I still haven't gotten used to the rigour of housework and childcare. Hahaha! My back hurts just from doing chores while carrying my one year old. Yes, you read right, while carrying her. Sometimes it's alright, but sometimes it's just a pain. She gets into moods where she wants me to carry her while I do whatever it is I'm doing (such as putting clothes into the washing machine or cooking, or just arranging things on the shelf) so that she can get a better look at what I'm doing, because she can't see much from where she's standing on the floor. It is bordering on being spoilt, but when you think of it, in the olden days, women used to do work with their babies strapped to their backs, so there really isn't much difference from her and me now. Heh.

She doesn't like to sit in a sling, so that won't work. Plus I feel like she's too heavy for a sling. Plus she wiggles too much. Then I thought I had gotten round the dukung (being carried) problem by letting her sit in her highchair beside me while I'm doing whatever, but then she started trying to stand in her highchair, so that's no good.

I honestly don't know how to make her do her own stuff while I'm cooking or whatever. I bought her a few singalong dvds and they manage to capture her attention for awhile, but then she will get tired of watching it before I finish my chores, so that doesn't work for long. How do you other women do it? If you are a stay-at-home mom, or even if you're not, and you have well-behaved toddlers that do their own thing while you are cooking or cleaning, please tell me your secret! It would be wonderful if I can have a stress-free day at home. I used to think that it was stressful working in an office, but I find that I face the same amount of stress at home when I'm not able to complete my tasks in peace. It seems like she's never satisfied until she disrupts whatever it is I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment