Thursday, January 1, 2009

Teething problems

Whew! For the past two days Salma has been refusing to drink milk from the bottle at school, and they've had to call me several times to come and feed her. At first none of her teachers could figure out what was wrong with her. She would cry incessantly, even when held and being walked around. At home with me and her dad, she would be a little cranky, but fine. As long as we lie her down on our bed, she's happy. I'd brought her to the clinic on the afternoon of the first day, and the doctor said that she was wheezing and had slight fever, so she could have a chest infection, and prescribed her paracetemol, ventolin and anti-biotics. I, myself am asthmatic so I thought this made sense after our trip to Bukit Tinggi. But then yesterday, she got really bad. She even refused to drink from my breast at home. We couldn't figure out what was bothering her. Her teachers thought that maybe "something" had followed her home from the jungles of Bukit Tinggi, cos babies are able to see all those things that we can't see, especially near forest areas. That's what they say. My husband was worried about this too, and has been reciting ayat Quran in her ear every night since the very first day at Bukit Tinggi. But still her crankiness did not stop.

Then by chance last night, I had clicked on the link for "developmental milestones for 3 month olds" on babycenter.com and my husband read out the symptoms for teething, and Salma had the first 4 out of the 6 symptoms:

  • Drooling (which can lead to a facial rash)
  • Irritability or fussiness
  • Biting behavior
  • Refusing food
  • Gum swelling and sensitivity
  • Sleep problems

  • I'm not sure how to check for gum swelling, and she doesn't quite have sleep problems, although it's harder for us to put her to sleep these past few days. But she drools a lot, and has facial rash, she's totally irritable, refuses food, and bites like crazy! She sucks her fingers non-stop, and if I give her my finger, she'd be biting it, sometimes going at it really hard. If she gets her hands on her face towel or blanket, she'd bite it.

    So my little 3 month old has started teething! I consider it quite early... she's developing pretty fast. I don't remember my little brother or sister starting to teethe this early. But some babies are faster than others. Plus all those calcium tablets I took during pregnancy must have taken their effect by now. Another thing she's fast at is rolling over! Yesterday she rolled from her back to her tummy 5 times. She practiced so hard that after the 5th time she fell right asleep! I was on the phone to my husband at the time, and thought she had just stopped to take a break from rolling to listen to my conversation, which she sometimes does, but then i found out she was fast asleep! The funny thing is, I read on babycenter.com that babies should start rolling over from tummy to back first, but she's rolling over from back to tummy. Hmmm... I guess she's just different! But so cute...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment