Sunday, April 25, 2010

Home made jam muffins

Muffins (and chocolate chip cookies) have always been my specialty (as I like to think! hehe). This morning's batch of jam muffins that I made with my new oven turned out great and were a success with Salma! She ate 2 of them straight away!


First, to get Salma to enjoy the baking process, I lined the dining table with newspaper and transferred all my baking materials to the dining table from the kitchen. Once I had mixed the batter, I let Salma stand on the chair and watch me scoop the muffin batter into the muffin tray. I forgot to buy muffin cups, so I just greased the muffin tray with margerine so the batter won't stick. I forgot, though, to take a photo of me scooping the stuff into the muffin tray.

I let Salma lick the spoon with left over batter. She didn't like it.



Next, I put the muffins in the oven. If you read my blog post the last time, you would know that my first trial at baking with my new oven failed because I didn't get the temperature right. This time, after having read a useful article online, I found out that with convection ovens you have to set the temperature 10-15 degrees centigrade lower than in the recipe and minus 5 or 10 minutes from the cooking time stated in the recipe. So that's what I did.

And 20 minutes later the muffins were ready! The toothpick test passed :)



Still, the heat was not properly distributed so some muffins rose higher than others. It seems that the heat is hottest at the back and on the right side of the oven. So maybe next time I have to turn the pan around once during the baking process. Or maybe just scoop extra batter into the cups that are in the middle of the tray. :)  But they are yummy! I just used regular Chivers strawberry jam.

Next time I will buy that jar of Carrefour blueberry jam that is on sale for $1.69 and bake with that.

I love baking stuff that my kid loves to eat. Her daddy (the more fussier eater) will only get to taste the muffins when he comes home in the evening.


Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

No comments:

Post a Comment